Originally Posted By: hybrid8
No offense, but I wouldn't hire you to work on a project like the one being described in this thread.

No offense taken -- I wouldn't hire me for a project like this, either. smile

Quote:
There are many developers writing proprietary code for a living, but they should still have something recent to show that is public.

Why? I have far too many other hobbies to go home after writing code all day, and write more code so that I can have something "public".

Quote:
When I want to see the goods, I want to see a completed project, not a routine, and the developer should be able to explain how it was conceived, developed, what stumbling blocks they had, what tools were used, etc.

Funny... those are all the same expectations I've been encountering during the interview process, yet all of the interviewers have been satisfied with my ability to answer their questions without ever seeing the project. In other words, the ability of a developer to explain the project is not dependent on the ability of the developer to show you the end result.

Quote:
Someone with a track record isn't going to be pulling code off the net.

That's also not true. Someone with a track record knows when they're about to re-invent a wheel, or if something is out of their own sphere of expertise, and know enough to go look at what other people have done. It's called research. The difference between a good developer and a bad developer is that a good developer will take the time to understand what the code he pulled off the net is doing, and why, instead of just plopping the code into his own project. Furthermore, I've seen bad developers write their own (poor) algorithms for things where a good solution already existed just a google away.

Quote:
If hiring someone green, then they may not have a tremendous amount of code written on their own. But they should still have some. Someone fresh out of school who has not worked on their own software (anything really) isn't someone I want to touch (ever again). It's potentially (and always in my experience) a sign they lack passion and self-motivation, as well as creativity.

Oh. You're one of those. No offense, but you're not someone who I'd ever want to work for. I don't lack for passion, self-motivation, or creativity when it comes to my job, but software development is the last thing I want to do when I go home after a day of software development. I want to exercise my passion, self-motivation and creativity for other things, too. It's called balance, and I expect any (pontential) employer to understand that.

Quote:
It would be difficult for someone who hasn't dipped their toe into this industry to audit whether a particular sole developer has all the skills that will be needed for the concept as it evolves.

Amen to that.