Originally Posted By: peter
Originally Posted By: andy
If it really is just plain EXT3 and RAID1 then yes

Surely this is in fact the whole problem -- i.e. whether the partitions are "bare" on the drives, or whether there's some sort of metadata stored by the NAS that offsets the partition table and makes the partitions hard to mount on other systems. I don't know whether NAS boxes in general have metadata "partitions" before the real data, let alone how to tell whether any particular one has.

Peter

I believe there is an operating system partition and a swap partition before the data partitions on each disk in a Synology NAS (created during the firmware installation) but they should be part of the partition table AFAIK.

I got the information that they run ext3 from here and apparently the latest version of Synology's NAS firmware, DSM3.0, gives the option of using ext4 filesystem but no mention of anything non-standard about the partitions.

I would anticipate that the Synology Hybrid Raid (from the second link above) would not be able to be read outside of the NAS itself but that is only speculation.

"I spent 90% of my money on women, drink and fast cars. The rest I wasted." - George Best