Took me forever, but the CarPC is finally coming out of my Mustang on Tuesday. Been limping along with PC speakers connected into my iPhone for podcasts for the past many months.

I think the era for CarPCs is coming to a quick end. New cars offer really nice integration for media and nav features, and Ford Sync is even evolving to work with apps on smart phones. With the tablet market set to explode soon, I think most folks who still want a do it yourself route may just opt to put a Samsung Tab or similar device in their dash. Maybe we will see companies like Centrafuse move to Android, but it's hard to say. Even with this being an enthusiasts only market, it really feels like it's in decline over the past few years.

It was an interesting experience overall, but if I could do it all over again, I'd skip the hassle of it all. The hardware was looking promising with systems like the G4, but software never caught up.

I'd be interested in pim's experiences, to see what he has done at this point. Sadly he's not very active these days.