If I weren't using GMail, I'd be using IMAP everywhere. POP3 accounts across multiple devices is a nightmare and certainly a productivity killer. Just the idea of having read messages on one platform, then switching to another platform where those messages haven't been read. That's a lot of time you're wasting keeping all your mail straight, when IMAP does that for you.

*edit*
Quote:
The problematic aspect isn't necessarily an imap issue. But simply an issue of leaving that much content on the mail server, potentially making the people who run the server non-to-pleased. I recall getting warnings from the Dreamhost server with my support address when it was well below 1.2GB. I'm going to look at the mail settings to see what I can do about my quotas.

Wow, chalk up another one for Dreamhost. Unless that quota is user-set, that's real nice of them. Thank goodness I have 207GB of available space on GMail (the 200GB was paid for and is shared across Picasa too, so I'm cheating a little here smile ).

The only other solution for you, Bruno, is to archive some of your old mail on the Mac side to get it off the servers. You wouldn't be able to search it on the phone, but it would free up some space and you'd still have access to it. I have no idea how you do that on a Mac's mail client, whatever you're using.

Edited by Dignan (30/11/2010 13:33)