Originally Posted By: andy
The iPhone IMAP client is the best mobile IMAP client I've used,

I suppose this is another case of the best of the worst?

Frankly, after some use today with the iPhone's mail program, I think it's terrible. Beyond terrible in fact, I think it completely sucks. So far Apple is scoring about zero on its built-in apps. They're all very weak, but this mail program really really sucks - badly.

It's essentially a completely featureless mail client beyond simple reading, writing/replying and deleting/moving. Yes, those are the basics, but how about marking/unmarking messages, including flagging?

To search you have to scroll to the top of the mail list - stupid implementation I've seen in another Apple app (I'm looking at your Safari). To download more headers you have to scroll to the bottom of the list. Arrrgh. There are simply no gestures, no navigation, no menu of any kind.

When I view my SENT mail, it doesn't show who the messages are TO. Instead it shows who they're FROM, so I see my name repeated down the page... Ugh. Useless.

I think I need a replacement app.

Beyond the lameness of the client, now there's the fact that the messages on the server are listed in the wrong order which is causing old messages to be displayed before new messages. This doesn't seem to affect the Mac OS client.

I've confirmed using Squrrel Mail, that the message order, when the client is not itself sorting, is in reverse of my uploading. That is, the last message I uploaded to the server appears first. Since messages were uploaded in batches that were each composed of chronological messages, the oldest stuff is appearing first. What a fine mess.

Viewing the headers on the mail server through the clients doesn't show any recent date or reason behind this order issue. Anyone know how to fix this?

EDIT: It's likely the reason for all this is that the timestamps on the messages are all set to today, as they were uploaded. Seeing as imap clients don't actually look at headers to determine the received date, but instead look at the file timestamps, this is all going to remain hosed until those timestamps can be fixed. And that's something that I can't do with the Dreamhost account because the mail no longer lives in my shell account but instead resides on its own mail server I don't have ssh access to. Lets see what Dreanhost support has to say when I ask them to fix this for me - I've already found a script to do it...

Edited by hybrid8 (01/12/2010 03:10)