Originally Posted By: DWallach
After a phone call to Miele, the solution was that the oven had somehow gotten itself into "demo mode", which required an undocumented key sequence (put the selector into light mode and hold down both timer buttons for 5 seconds). Afterward, it worked fine.

I guess demo mode is for a showroom or something where they want it to light up but not actually get hot? The secret key combo that puts you into this mode can't be that difficult if somebody in the house managed to hit it. Extra bad points for making it undocumented to leave demo mode which also has no indication it is in demo mode without calling or getting somebody in to repair it.

For example, the Xbox saw that I had two WiFi base stations and complained that they shouldn't have the same SSID. Really? Umm... no. Please pick the one with the strongest signal strength and do what everybody else does.

You won't experience this but the other problem which generally also occurs is that manufacturers just assume that you're in the US with only 1 to 11 for 2.4GHz WiFi channels. Europe lets you use 1 to 13 and badly designed devices just won't see your AP at all if it is on 12 or 13.

- I have zero interest in joining Xbox Live Gold. I don't care. So why do I need to be a member of Xbox Live Gold in order to get to Netflix?

Just making you pay for a sub for something that you'll never actually use.

- As my daughter is busy doing her thing, the Xbox is busy "unlocking achievements" and other sundry things that are never explained anywhere. Somehow, I missed the memo that explains all of this mess. I can see that I have some number of G's and trophies. I have no idea what these numbers mean.

Achievement points for "ePeening" basically.

- Also, I went poking around the Xbox Live Arcade to see what was there. One of my college buddies wrote a game, Braid, so I clicked on it, and it said it cost 800 somethings, where the something was a funny glyph that looks like a cross between a capital G and a euro symbol (you can see it at the web link). Umm.. WTF? Yes, I can go read up and learn that these are Microsoft Points,which are unrelated to the "G's" mentioned above, but nowhere did it bother to say that, much less talk about the dollar cost of Microsoft Points.

The best part of Microsoft points is that the conversion from real $$$ to MS points and the actual cost of items on the store means you always have to overspend. Oddly enough, this is one of the places where Sony has actually done it properly and they just charge you real $$$ instead of special virtual cash.