Originally Posted By: hybrid8
I don't even care that my TV has a tuner in it - two tuners in fact. It also has a USB port that allows you to view images and perhaps play tunes. None of it gets any use because I can already do that on other devices.

Our TV here also has a pair of USB host ports, from which it can play videos and the like.

But it can also find the MythTV box over ethernet/DLNA. This does have its uses -- the TV can upconvert videos to 120Hz better than the NVidia hardware in our MythTV boxes can.

Normally, the difference isn't enough to bother with the clunky TV user-interface. But tonight I was watching a 720p BD rip of Star Trek (2009).. it plays perfectly on the little Zotac Ion2 Mythtv box in my office, but when I went downstairs to see it on the big screen.. playback was very jerky with the main MythTV box, despite superior hardware in all respects..

So I used the TV to watch the flick, over DLNA from the MythTV box. Worked perfectly, and the picture quality was very impressive.

Why did the big MythTV box fail, when even the tiny Atom/Ion2 box could handle it? Software. Our main MythTV box is running 0.23, whereas the Ion2 system has 0.24, with better support for hardware acceleration of more formats. That's the first time I've run into a video that needed the newer software.

Cheers