Ooo, I like the looks of that 450G. I'll have to keep that in mind for setups where wireless isn't needed or could be separate.

Originally Posted By: altman
On your wireless... did you try 5GHz? My parents place is a nightmare for wifi, some of the walls are 3'+ of stone and I was having a nightmare trying to use WDS to chain APs to give them coverage in most of the house.

I didn't try 5GHz for a few reasons. First and foremost: cost. I'd first have to replace my router, and most dual-band routers are pretty costly. Plus, I'd have to have a 5GHz option at the other end, so that means some sort of bridge and lastly a switch to support all the devices on the home theater side, including the bluray player that can't go wireless on its own and a Tivo which doesn't have a 5GHz wireless adapter (I think). This solution was a little simpler.

Originally Posted By: andym
My experience of power line products like that is that they generated a serious amount of RF interference on radios in the vicinity. Throughput was good, but since it caused so many problems elsewhere we couldn't continue using it.

Do you mean radios like FM? If so, that will never ever be a concern for me. If not, I haven't seen any problems.

Originally Posted By: tman
What sort of speeds you getting? I did have a "85Mbps" link between a room in the house and the garage but the throughput was awful. I assume because it had to actually travel all the way to the breaker panel and then back out again as they were on different circuits.

I don't think I've really done any testing, and I think it varies based on what's turned on in the home. I seem to remember transferring files from my PC to a drive attached to my WDTV, but I can't remember how fast it was going. I want to say it was around 11MBps, so that's about 88Mbps, which I'm perfectly happy with for my purposes. Like I said, I haven't had any bandwidth issues with the Boxee Box and transferring HD video.