Originally Posted By: hybrid8
In the short-term (2 years) I don't think MS can even begin to touch RIM's numbers. If we're talking 5+ years, then maybe. but RIM would have to make some serious mistakes.

Frankly, I don't think they would have to make mistakes. I think they'd just have to continue the way they do now, which is clearly a tactic of "we're the best, we're the biggest, it'll always be that way." They seem to have this arrogant and ridiculous idea that they're perfect and because everyone loves them they don't need to try.

Just look at the phones they've released. Their biggest device announcement in the past year was the Blackberry Torch, which was underpowered at the time it was released. Their latest product is that hideous flip phone, which makes it clear that they're living in the past.

It really seems to me that RIM doesn't realize that people don't talk about "crackberries" anymore. That was a term used when the Blackberry was the best way to get email.

It's inevitable that, if they don't change their ways, RIM is going to slide to a very small slice of the market. Their business is held up by businesses, but those businesses have users coming in asking to use their iPhones and their Droids, and in some office environments (such as law firms), the user gets their way.