Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
The typical 8th grader … writes … with … not the faintest idea of how to present ideas in a logical sequence.

I will give you that he speaks in complete sentences, which is head-and-shoulders above most adults. I was thinking more of his line of thinking, which I think is indicative of an 8th grader. (Not, again, that most adults think any better.)

He states that teenagers are bellwethers of up-and-coming technology. He supports this by noting that all of his friends have either an iPhone or an Android phone, one specifically getting the Droid shortly after it was released. I can assume that very few adults have smartphones. I know that I've been avoiding getting one. This four-year-old revolution in portable computing amongst the (then) 10-year-olds almost passed me by.

He argues that it's understandable that the iPad is seen as doing more than a laptop because it has applications that people use, like Facebook, YouTube, and web browsing, built into it. I know that when I got my new laptop, it was a struggle to get all the software installed that I needed in order to access those web sites, and web sites in general.

He argues that the iPad is opening up technology by allowing people to install new apps and otherwise tinker with the computer.

He argues that allowing people to install new apps and otherwise tinker with the computer, when under the guise of such dinosaurs as Motorola and Google, is too open — too powerful. (Man, I feel sorry for that friend of his who got rooked with the Droid. I hope he's less bellwether-y than his clearly superior iPhone-owning peers.)

He argues that the version of Mac OS X is going to help Apple's PC sales. He supports this by noting that people think that the iPad is more open. (I guess all those non-geeks are now in love with everything Apple, but thought they'd hold off for a version update on the base OS.)

Obviously, I'm exaggerating to some extent, and being overly harsh; he clearly writes better than most people. And I like the iPhone (and iPad, theoretically). In many ways they're better than their Android equivalents, especially for non-geeks. I think his basic thesis is probably fairly accurate. But how you can present this as a guide to logical thinking is dumbfounding to me. It smacks of the spastic mind of an 8th grader. Sadly, many adults have that same trait.