Originally Posted By: Dignan
Tom, I really wish you could experience real Android. I don't fault you for not having done so, because it's so difficult to do. I'd be thrilled if Google tightened things down.

At the time, it was impossible, since the Nexus One was discontinued along with the Droid, and the Nexus S was still a ways out. To be quite honest, Android is not for me, even if it is stock. The media features I use very frequently on the iPhone side simply aren't matched in the Android space without a lot of effort that I'm not willing to go through. I'm not, nor do I plan to be a GMail user, so that leaves me with the subpar stock IMAP client that people at Google don't care about. I've also come to appreciate VPN access from my iPhone, something Android currently can't do, as Juniper doesn't have a proper Android VPN client. As nice as free turn by turn navigation might be (my main interest in Android), it's not enough to offset the downsides for my use.

I had considered grabbing an Xperia Play just as a justification to have an Android device around to tinker with and use for games, but Sony (as usual) dropped the ball here. In the US it's Verizon only (so no SIM swapping for me), and even if I did get a GSM version, it's barley "Playstation" compatible. I was hoping to see PSP games make the direct leap over, and potentially slightly scaled down Vita games. But instead, the plan seems to be mostly focused around bringing back PS1 era games, to avoid cannibalizing any PSP/Vita sales. At the end of the day, $500+ for a portable game console I'll use infrequently is a bit too much for even me to justify.