Originally Posted By: DWallach
The ports work great in AP mode. Here's a way to think about it:

- In AP mode, it's just a switch that happens to have a wireless AP attached to one of the ports.

- In bridge mode, the AP doesn't accept connections. Instead, it makes a connection elsewhere, thus "bridging" your wired gear to your base station elsewhere.

Will it also work as a wireless repeater? My old netgear APs are set up that way. I don't have any wire pulled (that will change next year when we do some work on the house), so I have two APs, one wired, one remote. The remote one pulls double duty, acting as a switch/AP and wirelessly repeating traffic back to the wired one. It works - I have full coverage in my house and out onto the deck, albeit more slowly (it's only noticeable when streaming video or otherwise moving large files/data).

More to the point, it won't repeat with WPA - it only repeats in WEP. I use 2.4 GHz with WPA on the wired AP getting my outside coverage, and I use the 5 GHz with WEP for repeating to the dark corners of my house. But I'd really like to get rid of the WEP.

-jk