I bit the bullet and upgraded to iOS 5. I figured I'd either wait a couple of weeks for an untethered Jailbreak or just go tethered for now, since I rarely ever reboot the phone.

So, iCloud.... As far as backup goes I'm not feeling the love. It seems that it's not possible to set up your iOS device to back up to both iCloud and your iTunes-running computer.

This is a problem because iCloud offers only 5GB of storage which is, as far as backups go, not really enough for much of anything. My iPhone is 32GB and even when you discount the space take by apps, that's still a lot of space that can be occupied by stuff that needs to be backed up. When I first set it up immediately iCloud complained it didn't have enough space to back up the phone.

So that means having to turn off a bunch of stuff from backing up. Which means it doesn't get backed up at all. Being able to use both iCloud and the computer would allow really important stuff to go to the cloud daily with less important stuff going to the computer less regularly.

Arrgh.

There were a few other upgrade hiccups, such as some random email addresses from customers somehow getting into my contacts (address book) and three extra Google calendars somehow becoming enabled.

So far "Local Weather" doesn't seem to work and I'm fairly confident that my cellular (voice) connection is not as robust - the network keeps dropping out here at home.

Notification Center is most definitely not a suitable alternative to LockInfo (which requires a Jailbreak), and using the volume button for taking pictures with the camera kind of sucks. It has too much resistance and of course the camera lens is placed in a bad location, likely to be obstructed by a finger, when you hold the phone in the necessary orientation. They either need to add an additional button to a future phone (multi-use) or move the camera so it's more centered on the back of the phone.

Doing Syncs from iTunes no longer seems to lock the phone - you can keep using it while it's backup up, etc. Which can get a little confusing if you happen to forget it's in mid-sync.

Edited by hybrid8 (15/10/2011 23:31)