Indeed! grin I've created the network installation from the ground up to be as fast as is (currently) possible for a reasonable price, and that (currently) equals gigabit ethernet. But I've looked further than that, eg. all my in-wall cabling is Cat7, just to be future proof. Once 10 gigabit hardware becomes affordable for the masses, I plan on upgrading the necessary hardware like eg. the switch. Cat7 should be future proof enough for speeds up to 100 gigabit, especially in houses where the cable lengths usually aren't longer than a couple of meters.

I realise this was a gamble, but I really don't believe the future is fibre, at least not for in-house installations. I can see fiber-to-the-home happening, but I believe for the in-house distribution of the signal, copper will remain the way to go. Then again, what do I know? As said, it was just a gamble. But should a different technique end up being used in the future, I should still be able to switch quite easy. I've made sure of that.