Originally Posted By: Roger
I am (or was; what I'm about to say might disqualify me) a computer geek, and I don't usually bother purchasing an add-in card or CPU upgrade these days.

I do appreciate the ability to spec out what I want in the PC at purchase time (either from Dell, for example, or because I'm building it myself), but once it's built, it tends to stay that way.

I did buy a new graphics card for my desktop PC recently, but if that hadn't been an option, I'd have just bought a new PC. It wouldn't have been a Mac, though.

Same here. Personally, I can't imagine not building my personal home PC. I would not give up the possibility to spend my money in the components I want, building a system that matches the price level and the specs I want. Also, even though my initial goal in building a system is to design it to last as long as possible, still I always end up changing some component over time.
Also, usually I don't re-install the OS for years; I upgrade it as much as possible (32->64 bits did not allow me this), and migrate it from one machine to another.

Not being able to use this type of flexibility is one of the barriers, for me, to enter the Apple universe, although not the only one and probably not the most important. Actually, I satisfactorily use it, occasionally, for work. But I would not make it my personal machine.
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg