Originally Posted By: andy
Out of curiosity, what do you want your $1200 Mac to do that the quad core Mac Mini doesn't ?

A better GPU and more hard drive slots I'm guessing ?

Basically. And what's wrong with that? What's wrong with not wanting a bunch of external hard drives sitting around with their own power supplies, taking up space and USB ports (if not thunderbolt)? 500GB is already not nearly enough space for me.

And yes, it has a quad core i5, but why can't I want a core i7? Like I said already, I've tried Handbrake on a brand new Mini, and it was slower than on my three year old Core i7 PC.

Anyway, clearly the better option is to buy an iMac and replace my entire monitor every time I want a new computer. Nevermind that I've had the same monitor for six years now and have no plans to replace it for a few years to come. It's also you guys who assumed the hypothetical computer I was talking about was needed for people to swap parts in and out of. I never said that. All I said was that I wanted something that performs somewhere in between the Mini and the Pro. I still haven't heard a good reason why they don't have it. Yeah, I've heard Bruno's reason, but I'm not buying that. I don't see why the sheer existence of the iMac precludes a similarly specced machine without a monitor and with more storage options.