Originally Posted By: wfaulk
The fact that yours are ending up at exactly 1" is probably coincidental. Try reducing your left and right margins as well and see what happens.
I don't think that is the problem.

The booklet printer (it's part of the HP-PCL6 driver) scales the data to fit the page. If I make the Excel column really narrow, it prints two very narrow columns on the page, with 1" margins top and bottom.

If I make the column really wide, it scales it until the two columns will fit on the page and leaves a 1" margin top and bottom.

If I increase the font size and the row heights so that the original excel column printed at 100% (non-booklet) will completely fill a letter-size page, the booklet printer scales it down enough so that two columns fit on the page with 1" top and bottom margins.

If I put hard page breaks in the original file to force more rows per page, it just scales everything down until it will fit on the page with 1" top and bottom margins.

If I put hard page breaks in the original file to force fewer rows per page, then the scaling doesn't change, but the top and bottom margins increase.

No matter what I do, there appears to be no way to have smaller than 1" top and bottom margins. Since the difference between letter and A4 height (landscape) is only 6mm (less than 1/4"), I don't see how that can translate into an inch and a half more total margins than I specify.

In any case, the printer driver "knows" that I am using letter-size paper, so it should know how many rows will fit in eight and a half inches minus the two specified .25" margins. Instead it is acting as though the paper is 7" tall (landscape) instead of 8.5", no matter how I lay out column width, font size, row height, etc.

I really think that the 1" top and bottom margins are hard-wired into the driver when I select Booklet mode.

tanstaafl.