Originally Posted By: TigerJimmy
Not discuss it? Seriously?

I didn't say anything about discussion. I said debate. Discussion is fine, if we're in agreement that the climate is changing. If someone doesn't agree with that, despite all the evidence, then I don't see any point wasting any time since it's impossible to have a discussion. What would there be to discuss? That anyone who agrees is having the wool pulled over their eyes? Not interested in that line. This isn't a discussion about faith. There are hard facts available. There is still opportunity to produce more hard facts. So far no one has produced any to the contrary however.

Quote:
Edit: the main problem with your "argument" is that you simply declare those scientists who disagree as "not reputable". That's just plain nonsense.

Which scientists disagree? What conclusive studies have the completed to prove their disagreements? The skeptics I've seen or read about base their opinions on nothing but blind faith - and dollars coming in to make their mouths move. Those who have done the research, who are out in the field, publishing. These people seem to all be on the same page. Just saying.

With regards to your point 3, you assume the temperature increase resulting in this warmer climate will for some magical reason stop and stabilize. The studies don't support that hypothesis. You're generalizing in a big way with regards to change. When you look at what's actually going to change, I can't believe for one second you can, with a straight face, tell anyone it's not a big deal.

I'm not a scare monger and I don't scare easily. I don't view people like Al Gore as scare mongers. But it does make me think very hard about those who would vilify such people with those labels.

A the end of the day, regardless of whether you believe the facts or not, what's wrong with being more socially responsible? What's wrong with producing less greenhouse emissions? Progressively reducing our dependence on fossil fuels? Investing in alternative and clean energy sources? Besides the climate change, there are many reasons to want to do things differently.