I see DVRs as a legacy device, something from an era when it was actually difficult to watch shows when you wanted to. Kinda like how iPods and other dedicated MP3 players feel like legacy now in an era of multiple gigabyte phones and streaming solutions. For the masses that still subscribe to the typical cable or satellite solution, most just opt for the provider DVR. The very tech savvy are moving to other solutions via the internet. That leaves very little market for a new player to combat TiVo these days.

I was quite impressed recently when I was able to just prop up my iPad at the Denver Airport, tethered to my phone in my pocket, to watch the end of the Avalanche hockey game that night. Prior to being in a convenient spot to watch, the same app used was also pushing me score and power play announcements. I imagine it's only a matter of time before handegg, err American Football is also available in such a way. At a price of course, but it will be an option. Over the past 6 years of being cable free, I've spent less, and consumed more quality content then when I had various subscription plans. I've also wasted less time, as most of my content is just commercial free as is.

Of course YMMV in any conversion from subscription TV via cable/satellite to other solutions. In general though, I see then trend accelerating now that we have more "screens" around us, and less dedicated TV/Computer display devices.