Originally Posted By: robricc
I'm just going to toss it out there that I've been using a Windows 7 box with Ceton InfiniTV PCIe cablecard tuner for about 3 months now. While it's not something I would put in my parent's house, a techie shouldn't have a problem using it as their primary DVR/media hub.

Originally Posted By: DWallach
You're right Rob, but the problem is that the TiVo is actually usable. My wife and my 6-yr. old daughter have no problem operating it.

I'm in the same boat as Dan, if it isn't easy and trouble free for my wife and kids to use, it is not going to be used.

Given the pricing of Roku, $50, it makes for a very cheap extender to something like Plex, and using something like kmttg one could automatically export the programs one is interested in from the Tivo.

edit:
Plex has a Tivo app that
Quote:
The tivo plugin lets plex play shows directly off your tivo. Requires an activated Series 2, Series 3, or Tivo HD.
You provide your Media Access Key, it lists the shows on your tivo, you pick one and watch it.

So in theory this should be do-able, assuming everything plays nice...

The front end would be easy, the back end less so. Everything is do able, it is just a case of time and money. I'd happily send Tivo a once off payment of $100 to $200 to make it plug and play.

Edited by Phoenix42 (05/12/2011 14:33)
Edit Reason: Added info on Plex Tivo app