Originally Posted By: msaeger
It's true that I can put more types of files on there now but what's it to them. The size of the files is all that should matter to google not if it's a jpg or a pdf. That's why I always thought it was so dumb that I couldn't upload any file I wanted already. I have just been attaching them to an email and storing them in gmail.

It's not a matter of what you're able to put up there (you could put up pretty much any type of file before yesterday), it's a matter of how easy it is to use now, and how much bandwidth they're going to need for this file syncing stuff. Before, you would just put this stuff on Google Docs and it would stay there. Now you can have all the computers in your home connected to Google Drive, and if you upload 30GB of files from one of them they're going to have to come down to the others. I know Google has peering agreements and everything, but that's going to be a lot of data going through their pipes.

Quote:
I don't really care about the structure I just want someplace online I can put my files I don't wanna lose. I don't have a ton of stuff so if could be a long time before my 80GB is full.

This is where I agree with Bruno (not about the data selling, that's stupid), but while these services can technically be used for backup, I wouldn't use them as such. Crashplan is far better for this sort of thing, and costs much less. You just can't do anything with that data when it's online, but that's why it's a real backup. Drive, Dropbox, Skydrive, etc are file syncing tools first, backup tools second or third...