Originally Posted By: hybrid8
In Finder, pretty much everything has a keyboard shortcut. In Windows Explorer, almost nothing has a shortcut.

Again, I have no clue what you're going on about. Have you ever actually used Windows, or just watched a select group of novice computer users using it, as you snicker behind them? I've been using keyboard shortcuts in Windows for years. I was using them in Windows 2000. The only one I can think of that Windows didn't have was the "new folder" shortcut, as Tom pointed out, but that's a single example, while you've posted twice now about this and not offered a single one.

Quote:
Watch normal/typical people using a Windows computer sometime and you'll see that the mouse is used 99% of the time. I see so many people cutting and pasting with only the mouse too. I suppose that's one reason MS didn't bother with shortcuts - they already had the majority covered. smile

Yes, I agree, most of the users I support in my own work use the mouse for pretty much everything, but that's because it's visual to them. They can see the pointer selecting the word. They can see it point and click on "edit," then click on "copy." It's easy to them because it's describing what they want to do. It drives me up a wall, but I'm understanding because they just don't know about the shortcuts.

But anyone who wants to know the shortcuts can find them. If anything, they can intuit them. In most areas of Windows, pressing the "Alt" key will underscore the letters that key will use as a modifier to get what they want. Within many menus, you'll even be shown the keyboard shortcuts.

On another note, there's one shortcut that is unintuitive to me, but it's one where I'm just going to chalk it up to differences in the OS: rename. It doesn't make much sense to me to hit the enter button to rename a file, but then again hitting F2 in Windows doesn't make much sense either. I think it's just that enter seems like a good way to launch whatever you're highlighting. But hey, I'll live with that one.

Quote:
I hope I was clear last time, the bottom task bar is a poor UI/UX design decision by MS and the novice comment was in reflection that most people don't know it can be moved at all. I should probably have used the word "typical" rather than novice, because I didn't mean to imply only a brief/short experience using Windows.

Yeah, but even in your clarification, you seem to be using "typical" as a pejorative.