Originally Posted By: mlord
I should add that, on my mythtbackend box, the "Recordings" directory is set to a specific filesystem/drive of the array, not going through mhddfs. I believe you were asking about this specific point. It turns out that it *could* use mhddfs after all (performance is a non-issue), but I _like_ having the recordings all on one drive rather than spread over the array. My box holds mostly (static) video content rather than (dynamic) recordings.

Ok, thanks a lot for your answer mlord. That's all I wanted to know. Actually I was thinking that a decent CPU should cope well with the overhead imposed by mhddfs, but just in case, as I have not tested it, I wanted to know if I could have an alternative in case writting to the mhddfs pool finally resulted in slow performance.
MY NAS will be holding too mainly static video/audio content, and writes to it would be only downloads from a bittorrent client and recordings from mythtv server on the same machine. Also I want to write to this NAS from other machines on the network for copying new video and audio content from time to time, but it will be mainly used to stream live TV from mythtv server and for streaming the video and audio to XBMC clients on the network.
So, I think this setup is very similar to yours, and then if it is working fine for you, it should work also fine for me.

Best regards