Originally Posted By: Shonky
I'm considering looking at Wifi N. From the living room I easily get 12-14 MByte/sec from my router on 802.11n 5GHz to my laptop.

N throws more variables into the puzzle then A, B or G did. (Posting for general info)

1. Is it 2.4 or 5GHz? - 5GHz has more channels, thus less overlap and interference. Downside, signal doesn't travel as far.
2. Are "wide" channels in use? 802.11n allows the old sized 20MHz sized channels, and wider 40MHz channels. Potential to double speed.
3. How many radios and antennas? Most equipment has 2, leading to a possible 300Mbit rated link when using wide channels. Some devices may only have one, capping it at 150MBit. Other options are 3, and the spec allows up to 4 (600Mbit max).

When shopping for 802.11n, keep in mind the above info to try and meet whatever speeds are needed. Distance and overhead will of course slow down these speeds in real world situations. The ability to close in on 450MBit has negated the need for Gigabit ethernet to my laptop in many situations. The upcoming 802.11ac standard should remove the wired need completely for my laptop.