I've got a great (even if I do say so myself) system in my car, consisting out of a pioneer DEH-9000R unit (great unit with a organic-EL screen), twee amps (pioneer A-class amps, 130watts x 4 (speakers) and 1 x 600 watts (subwoofer). The pioneer headunit does a great job of steering those amps and has a built-in equilizer.
This is my problem. I DO NOT really want to get rid of this headunit. So, if possible in any way, I'd like to keep it. Problem : I don't have two din slots. I drive a BMW compact (great trunk to implement an audio system), and this car only provides one din slot.

Is it for the equalizer only that you want to keep that headunit? If so, don't keep it, the empeg has a marvelous 4*5band (or 2*10band) parametric equalizer that should be at least as good as the one in the pioneer headunit.

(what are the dimensions of the empeg?)

It is a standard DIN unit, so its about 18.5cm wide (7.3"), 5.5cm high (2.2") and takes up about 17-18cm depthwise (6.7"-7.1"). These are my measurements jut taken from the unit, I am not sure about the official dimensions.

Does the empeg have the ability to steer a subwoofer internally? Or will I have to finetune the sound on the amps themself? (I would really hate that)

I am not sure what you are asking for here. I guess you would like to know wether the empeg has a seperate output dedicated to the subwoofer, right? If so: No, it doesn't. You will have to use some external solution to split off the signal for the sub.

Could anybody point me towards an on-line users manual of the empeg

The current version of the user manual is available from http://www.empeg.com/cgi-bin/display.cgi?section=downloads&id=7 as a PDF document (somewhere at the bottom of the page).

(I do believe it's got a built in equalizer too?)

It has, and a good one for sure.

Empeg HQ is located in Cambridge (right?).

Correct.

Is it possible to drive up to there and buy a unit directly from these guys?

I'm not sure if it is still the case (but I would bet it is), but it used to be possible to arrange picking up the unit as part of the normal ordering process. Just leave a note when ordering asking for specifics to go pick it up.

I could make a small weekend-trip out of it, so my girlfriend will be happy too. (got to keep the woman happy, no?)

Guess so ;-)

cu,
sven

proud MkII owner (12GB blue/green/smoked, was #080000113 is #090001010)