Is it for the equalizer only that you want to keep that headunit? If so, don't keep it, the empeg has a marvelous 4*5band (or 2*10band) parametric equalizer that should be at least as good as the one in the pioneer headunit.

No, the most important reason I want to keep the head unit is because it drives the amps and speakers in a very advanced way. It has every output one can ever imagine and it does it's work very well.
And also maybe, (just maybe) I can play a CD with it too now and then :)

But I've thought about this today. I don't know if you people are familiar with the interior of BMW cars. On the left hand side, next to the steering wheel there is a compartment. This was a small compartment, but I've ajusted it to make it fit a Neo. I don't see, if it can fit a Neo which is VERY deep (the length of a removable HD rack ('cause basically that's what it is), why it shouldn't be able to fit my regular headunit. The Empeg would the be placed where the original head unit was. I do believe this is feasable. It may be an odd sight, with my Pioneer next to my left knee, but at least it would get to keep it AND have an Empeg running at the same time.
I don't know why I didn't come up with this before.

Does the empeg have the ability to steer a subwoofer internally? Or will I have to finetune the sound on the amps themself? (I would really hate that)

I am not sure what you are asking for here. I guess you would like to know wether the empeg has a seperate output dedicated to the subwoofer, right? If so: No, it doesn't. You will have to use some external solution to split off the signal for the sub

Yes, that was exactly what I was asking. With my Pioneer everything is controlled and fine tuned (up 'till a point where it become ridiculous even) by the headunit. This works very well and enables real geek-like finetuning. (but since you're probably all audio nuts, I don't have to stress the importance of this to you?)

Is it possible to drive up to there and buy a unit directly from these guys?

I'm not sure if it is still the case (but I would bet it is), but it used to be possible to arrange picking up the unit as part of the normal ordering process. Just leave a note when ordering asking for specifics to go pick it up.

I will. I have some a week of vacantion left by the end of september, so I will get in touch with 'em by then. Ideal would be if I could get rid of the Neo by then too.

Thanks for the info Sven!

Tfabris :
This is my problem. I DO NOT really want to get rid of this headunit.

Good luck in finding a way to make two DIN units fit. I don't know anything about BMWs, so I don't know if it's feasible or not. If you don't have room in your dash for a second head unit, though, the empeg probably won't work in the trunk.

I sure as hell don't want it to work in the trunk and this for two very good reasons :
A) There's hardly any space left in my trunk with those two amps and that sub
B) When you buy a nice painting, you don't really put it in a safe now do you? :)

But with the method I've described above, it would seem that I would not have to make compromises. (Yay!)

Once you've got things set right, how often do you touch the fader in your system? After I balanced my amps, my fader was always set in the exact center. So I eventually re-wired it so that my rear outputs go to the subwoofer, and the front outputs drive all the other speakers. Now my fader is my subwoofer level control. You might want to consider wiring it that way.

Hmm, I fiddle a lot with the control levels of my speakers, always trying to find that 'perfect' sound. Sometimes this is even necessary because of the subwoofer. A lot of bass is not disturbing with eg. trance music, but it is with ambient or any other 'softer' genre. I sure you can relate.

Also, I like the possibilities of the equalizer you're describing. (the one on the Pioneer only has 13 channels). Oh yes, this sure does make my mouth water! :)

Also to you Tony : thanks for the info!

You know : this is also one of the reasons I'm leaning towards Empeg : it's seems to have such an incredibly strong user base, and really EVERYBODY who talks about it is enthusiastic. (this can't be said for the Neo, which is a fine solution, once you get past it's teething problems)

Sorry for the length of this post....