I've finally accepted that sometimes legacy software has to be abandoned. What software can't you run on 10? I haven't had too many problems running old software.

The app store and Cortana are certainly iOS-like, but I have never once opened the app store on my laptop in the three years I've owned it. And I use Cortana in exactly the same way I've used Windows search since 7. I open the start menu and start typing to find the application or file I'm looking for. It works pretty well.

Originally Posted By: K447
Originally Posted By: Dignan
... I don't like auto-updates ...
Do you distrust Microsoft’s ability to update and improve the OS without creating ‘collateral damage’?

Does the distrust outweigh the advantages of rapid dissemination of newly released OS updates and patches?

I really like the idea in theory. It's more secure. I've seen enough home users' computers that have gone a year or two without updates to know it's the right way to go. But I've also seen many cases where the updates actively break things. Even when they don't, it bothers me that things get changed without an option to bring them back. For example, they removed the link to the Control Panel from the context menu on the start button. I know they want people to stop using the control panel, but it's still there and I'm still using it and the average user has no idea about that particular context menu, so it seems weird to remove it.

But this is another thing that's very mobile OS and cloud service-like. The user experience gets changed without your input. But I don't have much of a choice in the matter, so I know I'm going to have to be the one to adjust. The only thing that will continue to worry me is that Microsoft hasn't earned the trust that they'll be good stewards of their own UI. What happens when they release the next major update to Windows 10? Will they keep the UI the same or decide to mix things up? Will the be the first time I'm forced to use 8/Vista/ME?