Originally Posted By: DWallach

Once stolen, somebody can always factory reset your phone.

... it's so important to install security updates regularly, since they will address all sorts of things like this.
Not mentioned in the Apple Reset link, if the iPhone (user) has an iCloud account and Find My iPhone is enabled, the iPhone remains account locked even after reset.

This is why, IIRC, it is imperative when buying a used iPhone that Find My iPhone be disabled prior to the buyer accepting it. If not disabled, the iPhone remains unusable even after being reset.

More to the point, a fully reset iPhone would not have access to the original owner’s iCloud data, emails, SMS and iMessages, among other things.

In my opinion an iPhone without a passcode is an enormous security risk. Touch ID allows for quick access by authorized people. There can be up to five fingerprints allowed, and it is common practice for a spouse’s fingerprint to be included.

It is not necessary to unlock an iPhone to accept an incoming call. Just answer the phone normally.

Always, always install all available updates for iPhone and iPad. And all app updates. Thee is no other reasonable choice. This is the way the world is now.