Originally Posted By: tahir
Originally Posted By: K447
if I am also gone, will the people managing our affairs and the estate be able to figure it all out, with reasonable efforts?

I guess I'd be leaving things in a better state than my brother did, but some simple things are soooo difficult. My wife can't talk to our phone services provider because she's not authorised to, I just don't have the time/energy to wade through automated phone systems to get this done (as an example).
Something to keep in mind, if/when she/someone informs the provider that you have deceased, your authorization for her, or others, may instantly also expire.

This MAY also include your credit card automated payment authorization, so someone has to make sure the telecom/services account does not go into arrears while things are being sorted out.

Until the provider is served with official paperwork authorizing them to work with the person handling your estate/affairs, it can happen that no-one is authorized to do anything.

This can create a paradox whereby the efficient approach is to not tell them anything, just make changes. I had this happen with a family member’s stock/investment account. I first issued (online) orders to sell everything and go to cash. Waited a week or two to confirm it was all completed and things were stable, THEN I told them about the executor authorization.

Edited by K447 (28/03/2018 15:25)