Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: K447
Where is the money, investments, debts? Where are documents proving ownership, control, deeds? Who should be notified of what?

Woah woah woah, you've expanded the scope of this discussion quite a bit there. I never said that the Google Inactive Account Manager was my entire estate plan. That would be idiotic! There's no digital replacement for a will carried out by an attorney. I'm not sure how I'd include the things you mention in the Inactive Account Manager.

This is for stuff like my web host login so that account could get shut down and stuff like that. I don't think my wife would have much interest in getting around to something like that in the first few months anyway...
I was not suggesting that you were replying upon the Google delayed notification service entirely, or even primarily.

In a general sense, it can be problematic to make assumptions about who will be ‘taking care’ of things after you are gone. If spouse is also gone, or perhaps disabled, whoever IS tasked with the immediate aftermath, and later on the wrap up efforts, may need the map.

Sometimes by the time the event occurs, the chosen executor may be unwilling or unable to take the reigns. Structure things so that a complete stranger, properly authorized, would be able to pick up the map and work through the process. No assumptions about knowing anything about your relationships, assets, accounts or how things are linked.

I will also mention that many legal authorizations you make while alive, will expire upon you death. For example, a second person (distinct from a joint account) authorized to access your banking, investment acounts, or other online account/service, that person may also be blocked the moment the service is notified of your death. The account can become 100% locked, neither your login nor theirs may work.

They will now wait until they receive properly processed authority from the executor or other party. And that access may be limited. For example, they can read the email contents but perhaps not be able to send messages from the account.

I have no idea how Google handles the process when notified, nor what restrictions occur.

Edited by K447 (20/03/2018 12:35)