Originally Posted By: tfabris
Hm. If I remember correctly, these monitors I've got have both DVI and HDMI inputs and I can switch between those inputs on their front panel.

If I got something like this...
Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI Adapter

Then I could theoretically connect the older gear with DVI cables and the mac with the HDMI cables and just switch between the inputs on the monitor front panels.

In theory.

Sad, though, that those dual-HDMI thunderbolt adapters don't also have a USB connection and a power charging pass through. At least I don't see one available. You either get a single HDMI and the USB and power charging pass through, or you get dual HDMI, not both. Does that seem to hold true?
I have two of these
Cable Matters Thunderbolt 3 to Dual 4K or Single 5K DisplayPort Adapter for Mac & Selected Windows
(Not Compatible with USB-C ports without the Thunderbolt Logo)

Each is plugged into a 2016 MacBook Pro 15 inch (one on each side). Total of four 4K screens are connected via these two adapters. I selected this particular adapter specifically for the additional bandwidth and video capacity of Thunderbolt 3 over USB-C adapters.

There are also USB-C docking stations that provide for two video outputs. Typically one output is HDMI right from the dock. The second video would be via a USB-C to HDMI (or to DisplayPort) adapter, daisy chained behind the dock to feed the second display.

Since I am Mac only, I also use a CalDigit TS3 Thunderbolt 3 docking station, recently superseded by the CalDigit TS3 Plus

Edited by K447 (05/04/2018 00:33)