Originally Posted By: tfabris

... I'm definitely going to investigate those docks. I initially discounted them since they only had 1 HDMI output but your hint that I could daisy chain a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter into them (something I already own) means that I could do that too.

... Anyone see a flaw in that scheme that I might have missed? For example if the docks say that they're "USB-C" docks like those recommended ones, is there a chance that they're using DisplayLink under the hood or something? Or would a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter use DisplayLink under the hood?
This is a tricky bit. Thunderbolt 3 has a well defined video channel structure. The actual video processing happens inside the video chip on computer/laptop. Video bitstream flows over Thunderbolt 3, signal converted to HDMI/DisplayPort/DVI and down the cable.

USB-C has several ways to display video, you may have to read the details on each adapter or dock.

DUAL external video output can be quite different from single external video, USB-C may have limitations. I chose Thunderbolt 3 specifically to avoid USB-C limitations.