I know there are a lot of Linux types on here so I thought I might see if any of you would chime in about rooting an Arris NVG589 modem. I bought it with the purpose of extracting the 802.1x certificate to free me from having to use At&t's provided and required gateway on my fiber service. My model is an 5268AC from Pace but I bought the Arris so I could work on it independently from my Internet gateway.

Anyway, I found some instructions to root at as the first step to getting at the certificate, however, I cannot get past telnetting into it. The instructions simply do not work. Either they are leaving something out presumed common knowledge or the instructions are just wrong for my application. Anyway, these are the instructions. I can get through steps 1-3 but 4-5 don't work. If I start a second telnet session, I can't establish a connection with port 9999 as instructed and if try within the same session it says it's a local connection. Thanks for any help!

Stu

1. Open a terminal/cmd and run telnet 192.168.1.254 or your router's IP here.
If you are running Windows 7 or any later version, you might need to add this feature in Control Panel.

2. For username enter admin, for password enter your access code.[1]

3. Run ping `telnetd -l sh -p 9999`
9999 is the port number and you can change it to anything between 1024-65536.[2]

4. Open a terminal/cmd and run telnet 192.168.1.254 9999 or the port number you just entered.

5. You should see a # and that means you are accessing the root shell now!