Originally Posted By: tfabris
I'm glad that seeing "ping" running with "telnetd" as its parameter looked weird to me, enough so that I thought it was a typo at first. Shows I'm learning at least something about Linux here and there. :-)

Seems pretty clever. I'm thinking of writing clear instructions for the whole process to make it less mysterious once I get it all sorted out.

Quote:
I wish you the best of luck, Stu, on getting the fiber service gateway tweaked to your liking. I fully support the idea of one using one's own hardware on a cable/fiber company's line. That's as it should be.

I will keep at it this weekend and try to get it going. Will let everyone know. I'm getting a super deal with the exception of the forced crap gateway. 1000mb up and down unlimited for $70/mo supposedly for a lifetime.

Quote:

But I will warn that I've had trouble in that area before. Though it was with a cable modem on Comcast, so it's a different situation. Be prepared for trouble, is what I'm saying. My trouble was this:

- I went through something like three of these things before a Comcast tech told me in confidence that it was known issue, that it was possible to remotely brick the Arris modems via bad remote commands and/or bad automatic firmware updates from the cable company.
- I had to ebay a whole different model/make of modem, this time one with the Xfinity logo on it. (Took two tries to find one on ebay which wasn't a reclaimed/blacklisted unit.) That one has been working steadily for years now.

Let us know how it goes for you. smile
That's horrible! If AT&T bricks my $199 router, there's going to be trouble for sure!