Update: TiVo's "escalation" path ultimately sent me an email telling me to do exactly what the phone person already said and to call back otherwise.

I also tried reconnecting the network, one last time, and the TiVo again crashed while processing the downloaded content.

So, today, I started my YouTube TV "free trial" (with T-Mobile discount), which should settle into $54.99/mo, or thereabouts. Our primary television is a Sony w/ Android TV, so that should "just work", and our secondary TV has one of the newer Chromecast dongles with the remote control, which should also "just work".

I also decided to not even bother with trying to switch my Comcast service to data-only. Instead, I signed up for AT&T Fiber (symmetric gigabit!), at $70/mo (including $10 equipment rental charge). I'll drop Comcast once it's working.

Fun AT&T Fiber fact: they're advertising a $200 Visa gift card when you sign up. If you click away, midway through the signup stream, they pop up a thing on the screen giving you another $150 Visa gift card on top of that. Umm, okay. So, amortizing those discounts, my monthly service for the first year averages to $41. Also, with the gigE service, you get free HBO Max. I originally planned to get a slower service, and pay independently for HBO Max, but this bundle is better.

My plan for one year hence will be to see if Comcast is willing to offer me some kind of killer deal on data-only service as a new customer. And then every damn year I'll just switch back and forth.

So, yeah, wildly, unnecessarily complicated, but I'm looking forward to the faster uplink and having a significantly smaller monthly bill.