Update: I'm now hooked up with AT&T Fiber and I'm measuring ~850Mbps, both upstream and downstream. That's insanely great. I'm just waiting for my Comcast TV service to die, so I'll know that they've well and truly canceled my service. Then I return the CableCard and I'm done.

YouTube TV is definitely a bit of a jarring transition when you're used to a TiVo with traditional cable TV. It's really a crazy UX, hard to learn your way around, and of course many of the buttons on the Sony remote control that say useful things like "Guide" aren't mapped into features in the app. They instead go to some feature if you have an OTA antenna. So that's also fun.

I've also noticed a lot of aliasing / moire / shimmering effects. The video feeds are generally 1080p, but whatever they're using to process 1080i into 1080p isn't nearly as smart as whatever my TV (or TiVo) was doing in the background. I've never seen this with video from a dedicated streaming app, like Netflix, where they presumably never have anything 1080i that needs to be deinterlaced. And, so far as I can tell, there's no button for YouTube TV that lets me say "just dump the original 1080i to the TV and let it figure it out".

YouTube TV does have a "4K Plus" option, for another $20/month, which doesn't really seem worth it, since hardly any content is actually in 4K. I might enable it for the one month trial right before the Olympics start, since a lot of the Olympics will be available in 4K. And, needless to say, I've got plenty of bandwidth. I'm probably less interested in the higher resolution than I am in the higher bitrate, which will hopefully result in better fine detail. Too bad there isn't a "1080p plus" option.

That said, the AT&T installer was two hours late for the scheduled arrival window, which made me have to juggle some meetings around, and I spent literally an hour trying to get a human on the line from AT&T, to only have them tell me, "yeah, he's running late, but we have nothing else to tell you."

Going forward, I'm definitely going to see how far I can push an annual alternation between Comcast and AT&T. My switching friction is now very, very low.