Hi.

However (and this is a big one) Stupid FTP does live up to its name and will not transfer more than 200odd tunes at the moment. It seems to take ages to do a dir and is altogether flakey. Any ideas ???

Hmm, I had no trouble transfering my 1200+ songs including their accompanying FID info files. I do have other problems with it though.
I will probably strip stupidFTP (or another simple FTP server) down to a single-threaded, single-connection (at a time) server that remounts the /drive[01] mounts as needed to allow for PUT operations without prior commandline remounts. This is extremely tricky with multi-threaded, multi-connection servers, and I don't have the time to do that (remember, I am supposedly working on the nav'em project).

If anyone of the hackers in here would create a specialized empeg-FTP server, I will volunteer to create the installation procedure for it (probably a hacked .upgrade file including displayserver and other software, if I get the authors' permissions).

Is there any interest in patched .upgrade files that include additional software?
Are the guys@empeg (resp. @sonicblue) allowing me to include the player binary in such upgrades? If so, I would do that and incorporate the additional software to the original root partition. If not, I will simply tell the kernel to use /dev/hda2 instead of that partition and add some scripts there to start all that software followed by the original init/empeg software from its original partition.

Also, I need some beta testers for my upgrade files, at least one of each of the following configs:
  • MkI
    • single drive

• dual drive

• MkII accordingly

• MkIIa accordingly

cu,
sven