Sigh...
This is all really great.
But the empeg in my car still sounds like crap.
See above (above, above, above, all the waaaay up) posts from moi.

This weekend I abandoned the factory speaker wiring and re-wired all the speakers from the speaker to the amp with nice heavy gauge speaker wire. (and I made sure the polarity was correct)
I re-routed the RCA cables down the passenger side cable trough to get them further away from the power wire for the amp.
And I played around with the gain settings on the amp until I was almost permanently crippled from crouching behind the front seats (The amp is mounted under the rear bench).

No luck.
I'm screwed.

My next course of action is to try a different amp. My buddy with the Jetta has a spare amp that he's waiting to mount with his spare empeg into his convertible 1968 Oldsmobile Delmonte Rocket 88.
Is that also a chick car?

Anybody out there have any other suggestions while I'm at it?

I'm thinking its the amp 'cause my empeg sounds great in his jetta, and we have basically identical sound systems.

Sure you could make an argument that the acoustics are different between the 2 models, but up until a month ago when I installed the empeg and the amp, I got plenty of bass with the stock Clarion VW head unit and cd changer and these same speakers.

Oh well...
Ill notify if anything changes.

Z~