I'm sure I've set the software correctly, but barely get even the strongest local FM stations. No AM at all, let alone shortwave. I've tried several large rooftop antennae, so I'm guessing somethign is wrong with the PCR-1000 .....Would you reccomend me checking anything simple before I box it up? I'm tuning to strong FM stations, setting all the filters correctly, and get zero to one bar of signal strength. Frustrating...

Bummer. What to check? Well, I'm sitting here listening to local FM station on the PCR-1000 with the original antenna - barely better than a coat hanger. I can't speak to signal strengths in your location, but if you have decent FM reception in your location generally, but can't even get that, then it sounds like something's completely wrong with the unit (which is a surprise. There isn't much to go wrong).

If the PCR-1000 responds to the software correctly (shows tuning, volume, filters, etc.) I have a hard time figuring how you could set something wrong by default that would foul up reception. I'd probably still try a different software (ICOM in place of TalkPCR or vice versa) just to be thorough (you may have already tried this).

Some of these early units came non-cell-blocked out of the box, I think, while others required a little soldering to unblock. There were also some EEPROM hacks that were possible to screw up. I'd bet $10 somebody cooked that unit (like the guy who's selling it???).

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.