Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | Software | RioCar.Org | Hijack | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs | Addons: Eutronix | Cases

Topic Options
#371909 - 10/05/2019 09:03 Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot?
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Guys,
I know some of you have some experience installing Ubiquiti’s Unifi products. Since my old trusty Netgear R7000 was starting to give up the ghost I decided to invest in something more stable. So I bought a complete Ubiquiti Unifi setup, with a USG router, a POE 8-port 60W switch, a Cloud Key Gen2 Plus (which was cheaper than the non-plus version, oddly enough) and 3 NanoHD wireless AP’s. Finally great WiFi coverage throughout the entire house, yay! smile
Yesterday I set the whole thing up and even though it didn’t go as fast as a regular router (since Ubiquiti uses its own controller) the whole setup process was relatively painless.

I was surprised however at how hot the USG router, POE switch and Cloud Key ran. When I looked this up on the internet, temperatures more than 70°C (+/- 160 °F) are considered “within normal parameters” by Ubiquiti.

But somehow this doesn’t feel comfortable to me. I’m now in dubio whether I should only keep the Access Points and Cloud Key, return the router and switch and change them for something else (regular router with Tomato/dd-wrt or maybe even a PFSense box, and a POE switch from a different brand). But on the other hand, there’s something to be said for staying within the same ecosystem. Is it normal for POE switches to run very hot?

Is my concern justified or am I overreacting and should I best let things be as they are? I specifically chose a passively cooled switch because I don’t want any constant buzzing fan noise coming from my closet, but on the other hand this is the hottest I’ve ever known any passively cooled device to run.

What do you guys think?

#371910 - 10/05/2019 13:08 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: BartDG]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
It does sound like a rather wasteful use of power. Is that even compliant with modern EU regulations for home electronics?

#371911 - 10/05/2019 20:36 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: BartDG]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Orange County, NY USA
I can only offer my experience as someone who runs five different Unifi sites from a cloud controller. One site is commercial with a USG Pro, and the other four are residential with 3-port USG.

I notice that the NanoHD and AC Mesh APs run warm to the touch. AP-AC-LR and original AP (green light, no 5GHz) run cool. I also have an AP-AC-Pro deployed at one site, but it's up on a loft I can't reach. None of the APs I have on my controller report temperature.

The USG-Pro is reporting CPU temp of 88ºC and board temp of 56ºC. The front panel is ever so slightly warm to the touch, but I modified the USG-Pro with quieter fans. This is the only site I have IDS/IPS enabled on.

I've had many different hardware revisions of 3-port USG over the years. It's my opinion that the newest ones feel noticeably lighter than the older ones and operate slightly cooler. This could be due changing what the case is made out of. I have an older one at my house and it doesn't feel very warm to me. Certainly nothing that would alarm me.

In an office down the hall, we have an 8 port 60W switch like you have. There is a PoE load on two ports. One is 4.74w and the other 6.90w. I would say this is the most warm item. My controller has a field for reporting temperature, but it says "No Sensor." I am not sure if there is a version of this switch with a sensor. The switch is definitely warm but again I would not be alarmed by it. It's a fanless managed PoE switch with a load on it. The case is metal and the heat seems appropriate.

In my house, I have the PoE passthru version of the 8-port Unifi switch with no PoE load on it. The case is basically the same as the 60w PoE version but missing (most of) the PoE status LEDs. This switch is not warm.

At another site I have a 150W 8-port PoE switch with only one 3.74w PoE load on it. This switch is much larger than the 60w and might contain a fan. The controller is reporting a temperature of 56ºC. This switch never feels warm.

I have a 16-port PoE 150w switch out in the warehouse meant to run PoE cameras that are not hooked up. So, no PoE load at this time. Controller says 61ºC and the case is just above body temperature. Barely noticeable warmth.

I also have a non-PoE 24 port in a rack. 69ºC according to the controller. Not at all warm to the touch on the face.

One thing I should mention is that one of these sites didn't have the space for a 16-port Unifi PoE swich so I ended up installing a Linksys 16-port (8 port PoE) fanless non-managed switch there. I believe 3 or 4 of the ports have a PoE load on them. This switch is not warm to the touch despite being fanless. So, it's possible the CPU in the Unifi 8-port 60W is simply inefficient. But, I've had managed switches in the past with fans that sound like a jet taking off.

#371912 - 10/05/2019 20:50 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: BartDG]
juenk
journeyman

Loc: Waardenburg, The Netherlands
I'm running the Unify 8-port switch (150W) with 3 PoE APs connected to the switch (1x AP-AC-PRO and 2x AC-AP-Lite). The switch reports 67 degrees C at this moment. So in line with the 70 degrees you see reported on the internet.
In my case, no Cloudkey or USG router, just the PC as controller and the provider-supplied modem/router (Fritzbox 7581).

#371913 - 11/05/2019 08:42 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: BartDG]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I've got three of the AC Unifi APs, which I've very happy with, they seem to run pretty cool (one of them lives in an uninsulated loft space and copes fine).

I don't have any Unifi switches, two of my APs are plugged into a TP-Link POE managed switch (they draw about 7W each). That switch runs completely cool and doesn't have a fan. It is a very unexciting managed switch though, very old school and probably has a very wimpy CPU.

#371915 - 11/05/2019 21:34 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: andy]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the replies guys! I've now found out that the mentioned temperatures are CPU temperatures, not enclosure temperatures. Today I've checked with one of those IR guns, and found out the switch and cloud key run at about 37°C, the USG at about 41°C and the AP's at about 44°C. Still pretty hot, but they function fine. I guess I'll just trust the tech and leave it as it is.

So far everything's ok. smile

Just got one problem though. I can't seem to access my Loxone home automation from outside the LAN anymore. With the old router I had set "port forwarding" up like below, and that has always worked fine. (first image)

With Unifi, I set it up like in the second image, but it doesn't work. It looks the same to me? Anybody got any ideas?

edit : those screenshots look pretty small, but I can't seem to make them bigger. I hope you can read them (you can if you zoom in on your screen).

Attachments
07 NAT - Port Forwarding.JPG

unifi port forward.JPG

Edited by BartDG (11/05/2019 21:41)

#371916 - 11/05/2019 21:52 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: BartDG]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
Do you have your source and destination ports reversed?

-jk

#371917 - 11/05/2019 22:03 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: jmwking]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

I tried that, but that didn't work. The ip address in the unifi controller also said "192.168.1.200:80" then too, so I figured that couldn't be right.

#371918 - 11/05/2019 22:55 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: BartDG]
andy
carpal tunnel

It certainly looks like you have the ports back to front, unless one of the UIs is badly labelled.

#371919 - 11/05/2019 23:00 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: andy]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

You're right. They were back to front. But then it still did't work.

Then I tried setting it to port 80 in the setup menu of the Loxone server, and then it worked.  But I don't want to use that port for security reasons.  So I then reset the port back to 7777 and guess what? It kept working!!

Very strange, but I guess I'll  just be happy it works and not worry about it.

Thanks for the help!

#371975 - 16/05/2019 07:10 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: BartDG]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Originally Posted By: BartDG
You're right. They were back to front. But then it still did't work.

Then I tried setting it to port 80 in the setup menu of the Loxone server, and then it worked.  But I don't want to use that port for security reasons.  So I then reset the port back to 7777 and guess what? It kept working!!

Very strange, but I guess I'll  just be happy it works and not worry about it.

Thanks for the help!

The first time you tried it you did give the controller enough time to provision the USG? Changes in the unifi world are not realtime, you have to wait until the controller decides to provision the changes on the device you've modified and then wait enough time for that device to update and reload it's new configuration. Normally this doesn't take very long, but as I said, it's not a realtime change.

#371976 - 16/05/2019 09:45 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: sn00p]
andy
carpal tunnel

That is one of the few things about Unifi that annoys me, there are far too many config changes that require the access points to "reprovision" (which basically involves the AP rebooting), that really don't seem like they should need it.

It does probably make testing easier for their dev team though.

Mind you, the cheap managed hubs I've used also need to reboot to change pretty much any setting (the difference being they reboot in a few seconds).

#371980 - 16/05/2019 19:45 Re: Ubiquiti Unifi setup - running very hot? [Re: sn00p]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: sn00p

The first time you tried it you did give the controller enough time to provision the USG? Changes in the unifi world are not realtime, you have to wait until the controller decides to provision the changes on the device you've modified and then wait enough time for that device to update and reload it's new configuration. Normally this doesn't take very long, but as I said, it's not a realtime change.

Yes, I did wait until the provisioning was done and the unit back to "online" status. But it didn't make any difference, not until I changed the port setting into the Loxone server. (after which the Loxone server also rebooted, so maybe that was the reason it ended up working)