Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#89852 - 22/04/2002 21:52 Depression and Mental Illness
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I just didn't want to interrupt the other thread with this debate, and seeing as it will most likely go on for a bit longer, I am making a new thread. Here is what's been said:

posted by wfaulk:
"And [censored] you, for not having the strength in your heart to pull through. I've had doubts, I have failed, I've [censored] up, I've had plans, doesn't mean I should take my life with my own hands."

I know these are not your words, but they piss me off nonetheless. I'm not familiar with Staind any more than to know I have no real interest in listening to them, and this just galvanizes that point.

Whoever wrote those lyrics obviously has never dealt with depression. Maybe they've experienced sad points in their life that made them depressed, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about full-on medical depression. Kurt Cobain was obviously a manic depressive; you can tell just by how he moved and acted. Manic depressives don't really have the option of ``pulling through''. It doesn't end for any good reason. It just ends. And sometimes it doesn't.

Kurt should have been on anti-depressives. But if he had, he would never have made that music. It's a trade off. You can feel like [censored] for no reason and be talented, or you can take the drugs and be as normal and untalented as everyone else.

As a friend of mine once put it, when you start talking about depression, all of a sudden everyone becomes a Christian Scientist. ``Just get over it.'' It just doesn't work that way.

And I speak from experience. My father was manic depressive my whole life. My wife is clinically depressive. So is my best friend. They are all on drugs. I am, too, but I'm not bad enough that I need to take anything. Also, I'm scared of it. I know how much it changes you, and I'm not going to do it until I absolutely need it. Hopefully, I'll still have enough sense about me (or someone else will) to make sure it happens.

Kurt was too far gone and obviously didn't have anyone. I don't know about Layne.

------------------------

posted by Yz33d:
It's really just all in your head. You gotta take control and not let the demons mess with your mind

------------------------

posted by tfabris:
I hope you meant that as a joke. Bitt is right about depression. And many of the same things that can be said for clinical depression can also be said about addiction. In fact, those two often go hand in hand, as the genes which give you a tendency toward depression will also give you a tendency towards uncontrollable addictions. Only recently are the mechanisms for these conditions beginning to be understood.

------------------------

posted by lectric:
Agreed (with Tony, above). Chemical imbalances are a powerful force to be reconed with. I was diagnosed with adult ADD a few years back, started taking medication (legal amphetamines, cool) and you would not believe the difference it has made to me. There are plenty of people that think that the problem is "just in your head". I had to go to three different doctors just to get an appointment with a clinical psychologist so I could get the meds I need. (HMO's blow). Anyway, just knowing you have a condition is simply not always enough. It is a phisical condition, not a mental one, that causes mental side effects. The same way you can't fix a broken arm or bad acne just by thinking about it, you can't cure an imbalance by wishing it were gone.

------------------------

posted by Yz33d:
No, it's in your head. It's not a disease or a virus. It's a state of mind. You can call it clinical or scientific, but it's something everyone's gotta deal with.

Tell me, what's the difference in taking some of these happy-pills and drinking alcohol? They are both drugs that can be taken to acheive a certain state of mind. Which is fine. But it only covers up yourself. It doesn't cure- only you can do that. Otherwise, you could give a psycho serial killer some morphine and 'cure' his 'illness'. Or you could shoot a tranquilizer into a raging rhinoceros and 'cure' his problem.

But I could be wrong. Go with what works.

#89853 - 22/04/2002 21:58 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't think there's any debate to be had, our young friend simply needs to read up on the current medical knowledge regarding clinical depression and its treatment.

It's too easy for a healthy person to look at depression or addiction and not understand it.

#89854 - 22/04/2002 22:00 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: tfabris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well why don't you enlighten me Mr. Fabris?

#89855 - 22/04/2002 22:03 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: tfabris]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
heh, yeah I guess, I just wanted it to get aired in an on-topic off-topic thread

I was diagnosed with ADD in 3rd grade. I think the ritalin helped in school when I needed it, but I'd rather be off it. What does that say? I don't know, but the existence of chemical reasons for mental problems is undeniable. Ever heard of serotonin, Yz33d?

#89856 - 22/04/2002 22:03 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: tfabris]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

What does it take to ban someone who adds nothing of value to this message board, and probably is a waste of Carbon, Oxygen, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, and various other trace elements?

#89857 - 22/04/2002 22:05 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Go read Diven to Distraction. by Edward M. Hallowell and John J. Ratey.

It is specific to ADD, but other imbalances are similar in form and function, though not necessarily in treatment.

#89858 - 22/04/2002 22:08 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: lectric]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I, unfortunately, wasn't diagnosed until I was 24. NOT being ADHD, the problems were not quite so prevalent when I was a child. (And being intelligent enough to graduate Magna Cum without ever having to crack a textbook didn't help much either) It wasn't until college that my attention problems became apparent.

#89859 - 22/04/2002 22:10 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The problem is that there's still a significant number of people who are trying to capitalize on your way of thinking: That it's all in your head and simply talking about it can fix you. These are the Depak Chopras and Scientologists of the world. They use metaphysics and pseudoscience to reinforce your way of thinking. So your average web search on the terms "depression and addiction" will bring up a whole lot of opportunistic crap that isn't actual medical documentation.

A quick scan of these pages seems to indicate that they are medically-based rather than metaphysically-based. Anyone have any better links?

#89860 - 22/04/2002 22:13 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: acurasquirrel_]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Squirrel, all you have to do is click 'Logout', and then not come back.

#89861 - 22/04/2002 22:24 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, OK, that link seemed to be a pretty good one on closer inspection. I quote the summary page:

"Depression is not a weakness, but a serious illness with biological, psychological, and social aspects to its cause, symptoms, and treatment. A person cannot will it away. Untreated, it will worsen. Under-treated, it will return. "

#89862 - 22/04/2002 22:48 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: tfabris]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let's take a toothpick for example. A scientist can measure the chemical compound of the toothpick, the environment that the toothpick is in, the forces that will act upon the toothpick, etc., and the scientist can calculate how long it will take the toothpick to decompose.

Now take that a little further. If you could somehow measure every molecule, every atom, every force in a given environment and calculate how they will respond and react to eachother, then you could predict how that enivironment and everything within it will have changed in a given timeframe.

If you could measure every atom, every force, every reaction, in the universe then calculate the outcome, then you could predict anything about the future- it would just be a giant math problem. Now the question is, Is a human being's mind just chemicals and electrical signals and the-like acting upon one another? If so, then it could all be calculated along wth all the other atoms and forces in the universe in this math problem. And so, we find that our destiny is set. The future, every action, is the result of all of these forces acting upon one another.

Or does a human have free will, in control of his own fate?

#89863 - 22/04/2002 23:11 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Fuck you Yz33d. You are obviously just an immature kid with nothing better to do than shit on other people, regardless of the mental, physical or financial harm it may cause.

You like some music. Hey, why should you pay for it? It's your God give right to just copy it. Because you must be special - obviously the concept of right and wrong don't appply to you.

Some-one looks at you strange? Bang. Bang. Ratta-tatta-tatta-tat. Better get those big guns out. After all, it is your God given right to bear arms, and use them as *you* see fit. You weren't by some chance that prick driving down I95 in late September with the 6 foot model rocket mounted on the back of a pickup? The one with "Nuke-Em" painted down it? It really wouldn't shock me.

Mental Illness? "It's all in your head. Just decide to be well." I'll save you some time pondering careers - Don't try to get a job in the medical profession. It's just not up your alley. Actually, don't try to get any job that involves any kind of spiritual generosity. I don't think you're capable. I'd say you're cut out for a job that requires no soul. Maybe something like a dodgy used-car salesman, but unfortunately, I think you'd even give them a bad name.

Do you get the impression that I don't like you?

Is it sinking in yet?

I really don't like you.

This board has some of the most intelligent, witty, tolerant and helpful people that it has ever been my pleasure to encounter. Please don't count yourself amongst them. Your arguments in debates are illogical, your wit is insensitive and base, you tolerance is DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH!!!! You don't have any. And you go out of your way to kill helpful threads, and don't ever offer anything useful in return.

I noticed a thread the other day where due to *your* misunderstanding of Hijack, and apparent inability to read the FAQ you thought there was a couple of bugs. After 2 people had kindly explained what you were seeing, and pointed you in the right direction, you responded with "Well that about explains it."
Have you ever used the phrase "Thank You." ? Just two short words. I'm sure that even you are capable of spelling them correctly. They don't cost you a cent, yet they can buy you a lot. But, that's right, I forgot. You don't need those words - after all, everyone else on this planet exists for and at your pleasure. I really should get on my knees and worship the Lord for allowing me the distinct honor of being able to share this BBS with such an almighty person.

Just where do you get off?

As from now, as far as I am concerned, you don't exist on this forum. You want some help? Don't expect me to help. You want a new Hijack feature? I'm not going to code it for you. You want a mature debate on some subject? Well, that's unlikely anyway, so no change there. Perhaps other people will follow my lead on this, but I suspect that the generosity of the other board members' spirits will prevail. We shall see.

I think you owe a lot of people on this board an apology.

Now grow up. Unlike manic depressives, you really do have a choice. The Immaturiy *is* in *your* head.

#89864 - 22/04/2002 23:17 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: genixia]
shadow45

Loc: Florida, USA
as the comic guy would say: Best.. Flame.. Ever...

#89865 - 22/04/2002 23:20 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: genixia]
Anonymous
Unregistered

A man never discloses his own character so clearly as when he describes another's.

#89866 - 22/04/2002 23:21 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: genixia]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

Thank you you pretty much summed up what Ive been thinking. Today I kinda went off on the kid (I say kid yet if he is truely 19 then he is the same age is me) but thats like 3 weeks of putting up with his selfish attitude and his view that "if I dont like it, well then its sht" . I wish I could somehow just block him

#89867 - 22/04/2002 23:32 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: acurasquirrel_]
Anonymous
Unregistered

"but thats like 3 weeks of putting up with his selfish attitude and his view that "if I dont like it, well then its sht" "

No, you see, I accept your opposing view, on whatever it may be, but because I think differently from you, you feel a need to express pure hatred. There's no need for that.

#89868 - 22/04/2002 23:48 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
Yz33d, you are self-centered and completely lacking any kind of empathy. You have several character flaws but I think this is your biggest. You do not have any ability to put yourself in another's shoes, and it shows in many of your most egregious posts. You don't suffer from depression so you assume that others' feeling are irrelevant. You are talking from a position of complete lack of experience and seemingly don't have the ability to empathize with others. You don't make artistic works and can't understand why it would make artists unhappy that you steal it; you aren't an immigrant and can't understand the life they led to get here and sympathize with them. Unfortunately, at 19, you're basic personality traits are probably set.

#89869 - 22/04/2002 23:52 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: Dignan]
ninti
old hand

Loc: Los Angeles
> No, it's in your head. It's not a disease or a virus. It's a state of mind. You can call it clinical or scientific, but it's something everyone's gotta deal with.

And I suppose schizophrenia is just a state of mind too? You know, most people who get mental illnesses start having symptoms in their late teens or early twenties. Good luck.

#89870 - 23/04/2002 00:08 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ninti]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I guess your main 'flaw' is that you assume that I am assuming something.

#89871 - 23/04/2002 01:53 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Although this may just be stooping down to a level I don't need to be at - Yz33d, your assumption in the previous post that if "you could somehow measure every molecule, every atom, every force in a given environment and calculate how they will respond and react to eachother, then you could predict how that enivironment and everything within it will have changed in a given timeframe" has been proven to be nonsense.

The wonderful field of quantum mechanics shows us categorically that you cannot do that. Even identical situations can end up differing widely.

So do people. You may have no mental problems (although the evidence you present on this BBS indicates otherwise) but some do. Sometimes it is connected to chemical imbalances and needs medical treatment, sometimes it is caused by emotional issues - "all in your head" as you say and needs to be fixed by counselling.

Very often it is the case that the initial cause may be emotional, but self sustaining unless chemical means are used to assist change. Hence anti-depressants.

I know you may just be a youngster, but take a cue from others on this board who are under twenty, but who have a depth of awareness of others and some social maturity.

In other words - grow up a little Yz33d
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#89872 - 23/04/2002 02:16 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: frog51]
Anonymous
Unregistered

"The wonderful field of quantum mechanics shows us categorically that you cannot do that."

Yes, so perhaps the latter solution in my post is the correct one.

#89873 - 23/04/2002 02:18 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
No, you see, I accept your opposing view, on whatever it may be, but because I think differently from you, you feel a need to express pure hatred. There's no need for that.

Well put. Where on earth did this thread come from? Could it be put back there?

Genixia, this is planet Earth. There are people like you on it. There are people like Yz33d on it. There are people who cannot deal with the preceding three facts. Such people will only ever be frustrated by the Internet and by the world.

Peter

#89874 - 23/04/2002 04:06 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: peter]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Oh Peter, don't encourage him!

#89875 - 23/04/2002 04:50 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: Dignan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
How sad. I actually had something to add to this. A year ago I thought I would have been able to share it, but I won't even bother now.

#89876 - 23/04/2002 06:03 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ]
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
Yz33d.... Nice to see your making friends here....

#89877 - 23/04/2002 06:04 Re: Depression and Mental Illness *DELETED* [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Post deleted by Yz33d

#89878 - 23/04/2002 06:04 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alzheimers- that is a mental illness. Rabies- that is a mental illness.

I can see how I may have upset some people, but I don't mean to minimalize the effects of depression. I am not saying it is something easy to deal with or that you can just snap out of it. I'm just trying to make a distinction between the mental and physical aspects of a situation- and there may not be a difference.

Someone says it's a dirt road, and I'm just saying it may be a gravel road. That doesn't mean it's not a bumpy road.

#89879 - 23/04/2002 06:56 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
You're showing a complete lack of knowledge on the subject. Clinical depression has been accepted as a physical condition for many years. You're at liberty to disagree with established scientific principles (many of which have indeed been shown to be flawed over centuries of research) but I'd hope you might at least have some basis for your opinions.

So far you have rather given the impression that you believe clinical depression to be somewhat the same as you might feel when your dog dies or your girlfriend dumps you. When you're clinically depressed you don't need any reason at all to feel that you're in an endless pit of dispair. You don't have the option of taking a deep breath one day, saying to hell with this, and making yourself feel better. Emotional instability is just the symptom; the cause is a serotonin or other chemical imbalance - a physical, measurable condition.

I don't speak from experience but I have had this described to me by people who have mattered to me. I sincerely hope nobody close to you suffers from this condition if all you can do is patronise them.

Rob

#89880 - 23/04/2002 07:56 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ]
acurasquirrel_
enthusiast

This is straight out of my college Anatomy book:
"The management of clinical depression is one example of how contemporary pyschopharmacology has supplemented counseling approaches. Some cases of depression result from deficienies of the monoamine neurotransmitters. Thus, they yield to the drugs that prolong the effects of the monoamines already present at the synapses. One of the the earliest discovered antidepressants was imipramine, which blocks the synaptic reuptake of serotonin and norepinephrine. However, it produces undesirable side effects such as dry mouth and irregular cardiac rhythms; it has been largely replaced by Prozac (fluoxetine). which blockss serotonin reuptake and prolongs its mood elevating effects; thus it is called a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI). Prozac is also used to treat fear of rejection, excess sensitivity to criticism, lack of self-esteem, and inability to experience pleasure, all of which were long handled only though counseling, group therapy, and psychoanalysis. After monoamines are taken up from the synapse, they are degraded by monoamine oxidase (MAO). Drugs called MAO inhibitors interfere with the breakdown of monoamine neurotransmitters and provide another pharmacological approach to depression"

Take what you want from this, but Im pretty sure my text book isnt gonna to propagate propaganda.

#89881 - 23/04/2002 09:22 Re: Depression and Mental Illness [Re: ]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I'm just trying to make a distinction between the mental and physical aspects of a situation- and there may not be a difference.

For true clinical depression, there isn't a difference. That's what we've been trying to tell you.

The human brain is like a very complicated chemical computer. It can malfunction just like any other part of the human body. If the delicate chemical balances that govern the human brain are broken, you get conditions like depression, addiction, and other mental illnesses. These are illnesses just like Alzheimers or Rabies or the common cold, they simply have different causes. As I quoted before, you can't "will them away", they must be treated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >