I'm trying to make sure IrDA is working correctly on the Empeg before I start coding the irda communications portion of a program I want to write for the Palm. First off, does anyone have a precompiled irdadump binary for the empeg I can grab? I successfully cross-compiled irattach for the empeg, but I am running into a lot of problems trying to compile irdadump (not sure how to run configure correctly for the empeg).

I am running 2.00-beta13 with hijack 292. I was going to recompile the kernel to include the ir stuff, but I realized once I had downloaded the source that hijack already comes compiled with irda support. Here are lines from the bootup process:

IrDA (tm) Protocols for Linux-2.2 (Dag Brattli)

Linux-IrDA: IrCOMM protocol ( revision:Tue May 18 03:11:39 1999 )
ircomm_tty: virtual tty driver for IrCOMM ( revision:Wed May 26 00:49:11 1999 )

I would like to get the empeg talking with my Palm Vx, so I have done the following:

1. Once the player has booted up, I drop to the shell in Hyperterminal and do a irattach /dev/ttyS2 -s. This gives me the response:

IrDA: Registered device irda0

irmanager is not running!

2. I then enable discovery by doing echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/irda/discovery.

3. I then wave my Palm Vx in front of the Empeg, and the Palm displays a "Waiting for Sender" message, then that message disappears. At this stage I also tried beaming an application, and HotSync'ing via IR.

4. I cat /proc/net/irda/discovery but there is only the message:

IrLMP: Discovery log:

and nothing else.

I don't think that I am seeing what I should be, because of Hugo's post here, and information on the Developer secion of riocar.org (which came from Hugo's post).

How can I verify that my IrDA setup is correct? I know that it kinda works, because my Palm responds to it kind of, but I am worried that I am not getting anything in the discovery log.

When searching this board, I came across this post and took a few hints from it. I created the device /dev/ircomm0 with the 60 64 minor/major numbers like it is listed in /proc/tty/drivers. Here is my /proc/tty/drivers file:

empeg:/empeg/bin# cat /proc/tty/drivers
pty_slave /dev/ttyp 3 0-255 pty:slave
pty_master /dev/pty 2 0-255 pty:master
serial /dev/cua 5 64-66 serial:callout
serial /dev/ttyS 4 64-66 serial
/dev/console /dev/console 5 1 system:console
/dev/tty /dev/tty 5 0 system:/dev/tty
IrCOMM_tty /dev/irnine 60 64 serial

and here are my /dev/ir* devices:

empeg:/empeg/bin# ls -l /dev/ir*

crw-rw-r-- 1 0 0 242, 0 Jun 1 1999 /dev/ir
crw-rw-r-- 1 0 0 60, 64 Jun 16 23:38 dev/ircomm0
crw-rw-r-- 1 0 0 10, 187 May 24 17:03 /dev/irnet

If I do a cat /dev/ir I can see garbage output when I press a button on the remote.

How can I make sure that IrCOMM is working properly also? Any assistince with this would be greatly appreciated!