I'm also not convinced that you needed to change the kernel to trick the player into mounting the ext3 parition during sync. Doesn't the player use /bin/rwm and /bin/rom to achieve this? Couldn't you have edited etc/fstab to also achieve this? I'm asking because this trick is pretty absolute. It means always running a custom kernel to use ext3, and always running ext3 if you are using this kernel, and I was wondering if we could persuade Mark to consider including your work in hijack.

I couldn't come up with any other way to modify the mount type. I even tried using a custom /bin/mount, but that isn't getting used either. The player does not use the rom/rwm scripts, it calls the kernel function directly and never even looks at fstab. As someone else mentioned it is trivial to move back and forth between ext2 and ext3 so that shouldn't be an issue. I was hoping Mark would step up and make the ext3 mount configurable within hijack so that it can be turned on and off (kernel programming isn't really my thing). I was also hoping he would consider including all this within hijack so I don't have to maintain it separately. But, there are a lot of changes there so it could definitely use some testing first and I am currently the only person using it so that is why I was hoping to get some more interest going here.

-Mike