In reply to:

I cannot see putting this into Hijack, sorry.

It takes up more RAM (no good for Mk1/Mk2 players, okay maybe for mk2a),

It renders the player incompatible with the standard software .upgrade tools for future betas/releases.

It would generate so much email to me ("It's broken..") that I just plain refuse to have anything to do with it.

Sorry, but I have to argue with some of your points.

This doesn't take that much more memory, possibly because all the reiserfs code is removed. The kernel is 48k larger than a plain hijack kernel. Not bad for 3 kernel versions newer and support for an additional fs.

This does absolutely nothing unless the user chooses to use ext3. If they make that choice they have to know how to convert their drives and if they are smart enough to figure that out they should be smart enough to undo it if necessary. Unless they are using ext3 it is completely compatible with empeg .upgrade files.

The sad fact is that if this does not become a part of hijack I probably won't do many more updates. It is a lot of work to keep this up to date with your super-fast hijack release schedule and unless someone else wants to volunteer for that I can only see three outcomes. 1. it becomes part of hijack. 2. I stop tweaking hijack to support this so you get ext3 or hijack but not both. 3. I drop it all together :-(

-Mike