Don't worry, I'm going to continue...

Auto-EQ from hijack/userland is a long way off anyway. For now, I'm aiming to get to the point where we can automatically measure and log the response for offline analysis.

There's 3 hurdles after that point before we get to full auto-eq;
1) Crunching the response numbers to obtain the required EQ to flatten it. Not an easy task within itself.
2) Changing those numbers into EQ coefficients. Unfortunately the DSP programming manual doesn't contain the algorithms used to do this - it simply refers to a DOS utility that doesn't appear to be freely and easily available. We know that the empeg guys have essentially duplicated this utility within the player application, so either they reverse-engineered it, or were given the algorithm. Either way, they're probably bound by NDA from telling me. (Although I could hope!)
3) Finding out where in the scratch partition to store the coefficients. We've been warned that this is subject to change.

Actually, that's made me pause for thought. I wonder if the scratch storage really contains the DSP coefficients, or the 'raw' EQ data in 'human' form (ie f, Q and dB). If the latter, then that would make life significantly easier wrt point 2.