I never played any MMORPG before (unless you count MUDs and MOOs). A few of my friends tried to get me into EverQuest and I just didnt see any fun in it at all.

I have no idea why I think SWG is so much fun. One of my friends (who likes EQ and is already not liking SWG) has a theory. He thinks you need to be hardcore into Star Wars. I guess that really does have something to do with it.

One of the things I like is the sense of community. There is a cantina that always has people in it - and active conversations. The players don't just stick their characters in there while they are away. The entertainers dance and play and bands are going and characters are dancing to the music and talking to each other at the same time. It really is a cool dynamic to witness. That helps the enjoyability. Probably a lot.

Another is the immense possibilities. Do you want your character to join the Rebellion/Empire/Smugglers/any other of a ton of factions? What profession does your character follow? Questions like that make all the 'running around and trade stuff' worth it. The running around is a big part (how else do you get from point A to point B?), but the trading part can be minor depending on the profession involved.

It has some problems, but I think this game is some of the most fun I've had since Half-Life/TFC. Of course, I've been a Star Wars fan as long as I can remember