For what it's worth, here's a rough sketch of my playlist structure; I'm curious how others are tackling this...

Genre, artist, AND album name:
_Artist _Album, Eighties, rock, punk, hip-hop, Techno, Pop, Misc

_artist has every artist (that I have at least a cd from) and their work under it

_album is every album in a flat structure

other fields also have contain flat catagories, then other catagories as necessary:
i.e. - Techno
_mixed_by _album "Ministry of sounds" "Tranceport" "Rennaissance"

mixed_by is two levels deep, containing artist name, followed by his cd's under it...
_album is only one level deep, containing every album that's techno related

Other catagories can get long; for instance, rennaissance has 4 sub-catagories, with another 3 cd's in each subcatagories...

This system kinda works for me; I can get to an album fast if I need to by using the _artist _album, etc, but I can browse for something specific by using one of the other catagories... That way, if I know the name of a cd, I can quickly pull it up; but if I just remember that it's part of a subcatagory, I can browse for it...

...Of course, the search enhancements in Empeg 1.65 (thanks for the advance pre-copy btw, Empeg - but I couldn't get the guntella client to work from my apple airport??? it would download the first 30 seconds or so and then drop...) make this structure rather unnecessary now...
-mark

MK2: 36gb
Tivo: 90gb
CPU: 120gb
...I think drive manufacturers love me!