Just remember that there are other issues besides price. There has to be a sufficient warehouse of music, the quality must be high (not likely to happen), and what we're able to do with that music is very important. If I am not able to do what I want with it, the service is useless.

A BIG incentive for me to pay for such a service is something that the record companies probably won't bother with: old and out of print material. If there's nothing but what's on TRL at the moment, you won't find me there.

Well, as someone already pointed out, emusic provides nearly all of these. I doubt they have a single TRL song on the service. The quality is high (Lame VBR for nearly all tracks). Admitedly, the selection is lacking so that after the initial downloading, you do have to hunt for music you like, but that's what being into music should mean. On a basic economic leve, where else can you get the entire They Might Be Giants dicography, the entire Dropkick Murphy's discography (for you punk fans) and the two disc set of the greatest hits of Wesly Willis for $45?

Emusic may not have the selection, but they've got the business model. The challenge is unsubscribing when your 3 months are up like you planned to.

Matthew