How do I name the tracks in the ID3 tags? Can't just say "Symphony #5, 3rd Movement" -- is it Beethoven's symphony, Tchaikovsky, maybe Dvorak? If I'm playing tracks in random order, there's no way to tell.

That's something I've been struggling with as well. What I've been doing is placing the composer's name in Artist, and the title of the symphony and movement in the Title frame. Most players, including the empeg, use these ID3 frames, and I consider the composer "more significant" than the orchestra or conductor to the identification of a piece, so it goes into the "Artist" field. (This policy does create long titles, so ID3v2 is a must. e.g. "Symphony No. 2 in C Minor 'Resurrection' - IV. Urlicht. Sehr feierlich, aber schlicht")

But you're right that this does raise other issues--for example, I have multiple copies of quite a few classical pieces. Is this Beethoven's Ninth performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, or Beethoven's Ninth performed by the Chamber Orchestra of Europe?

Partial (and long-term) solution: ID3v2 does have Symphony and Conductor frames, as well as a host of other largely unused tags, but they're not supported by most taggers or players. Also, it's still not perfect--I end up mushing soloists, choruses, etc--basically anyone involved with the performance except the conductor--into the "Orchestra" frame.

I use ID3v2 Tag Editor, which is the only tag editor I know of which does support some of those more obscure ID3v2 frames. Its major weakness is that it doesn't do batch tagging, so you have to do tag each file individually.

The empeg, as I understand it, doesn't currently support these tags, but hopefully a future release will (wishlist: fully configurable info screens based on ID3 frames). Which leads me to a related question: when the empeg grabs ID3 tags for files, does it upload all frames, even those which it currently can't display? (So if they can be displayed in a future release, I won't have to upload them again?)

Side note on classical music: I'm grateful for the ability in AudioCatalyst to modify the start/end points of tracks, to compensate for all the CDs which have a single movement split among several tracks. I always "correct" this when I rip those CDs.

#11191, but I'm waiting for the tuner.

#11191, but I'm waiting for the tuner.