Which leads me to a related question: when the empeg grabs ID3 tags for files, does it upload all frames, even those which it currently can't display? (So if they can be displayed in a future release, I won't have to upload them again?)

Unfortunately, the empeg doesn't display any tag information at all. I think you're misunderstanding how it works. The empeg displays only what's in its database, which is completely independent of the tags attached to the files.

Now, at the moment you drag and drop a file onto emplode, it populates the database fields with whatever it can yank from the tags. But that only happens at the initial drag-and-drop onto emplode. After that, all you ever see is the contents of the database.

So if the database doesn't have any fields for composer/conductor/orchestra/soloist, then there isn't any way to store that data for future use. And I'm pretty sure that those fields aren't available in the database right now. So even if they were added in a future release of the software, they wouldn't magically appear.

There is a possibility that someone could write a utility that'd go through the tags (which are still in the files, they aren't deleted), and repopulate the database. But a lot of other stuff would have to happen before this was even possible.